Eyelid plastic surgery (blepharoplasty) is a surgical treatment to improve the appearance of the eyelids. Eyelid plastic surgery may be performed on the upper or lower eyelid separately or on both at once.
Eyelid surgery helps solve the following problems:
- Upper eyelid plastic surgery removes loose or sagging skin that forms wrinkles or distorts the natural contour of the upper eyelid and may sometimes impair eyesight
- Lower eyelid plastic surgery removes excess skin and small wrinkles on the lower eyelid
- Removal of excess fat, causing puffiness of eyelids
- Eyelid plastic surgery is a solution to remove bags under the eyes
- Correction of the drooping lower eyelid skin that reveals the white area below the iris
Depending on the scope of a surgery, eyelid correction may be performed using either local or general anaesthesia.
Eyelid surgery offers a lasting result.
‘Eyelid-skin is the thinnest, which, with its epidermis of just 0.04 mm, makes it particularly sensitive to environmental impact and body fluids’ balance. The first signs of ageing and excessive skin in the area of the eyelids show up already at the age of thirty,’ states Dr Dainius Daunoravicius.
Sometimes, botulinum toxin and hyaluronic acid injections are a sufficient treatment to remove the sagging of eyelids.
Where such injections are not enough, a surgical treatment is required. If this is the case, there is not much to worry about, as eyelid lift surgery is a relatively simple procedure that may help turn back the time by 5 to 10 years; it is also known as the type of surgery leading to the highest degree of patient satisfaction worldwide based on its results: a distinct and clearly visible eyelid lift.
‘The technique of eyelid lift surgery has been perfected to the extent that allows the patients to return to work and enjoy their social life to full just in a week after the surgery,’ says Dr Dainius Daunoravičius.
To achieve the best result possible, the plastic surgeons of Clinicus often combine an eyelid lift surgery with an endoscopic brow lift.